Monday, April 25, 2022

Behaviour edition on DS. ?


I'd like to be able to edit state machines (for Bilou and monsters) on the Nintendo DS itself. That'd be the pinnacle of on-the-road game making. There's a significant drawback to address before I can do that, though: usable state machine scripts currently heavily rely on GCC pre-processor to turn into engine-compatible text. Most of it is just providing nicknames for things that the engine solely knows as numerical identifiers.

So I'd need at least a sort of token-parser that can handle some of the substitutions on the DS itself. Both for potential Behavour Editor on DS and for runMe. Only the compiled .nds that embed the game would still use PC-pre-processed scripts (and see only numbers).

I've been toying with that idea summers ago, digitized and kept-as-draft the best part of it for seasons. It's not yet time I start implementing it (I don't think so, at least. It's irrelevant to the 'dreamland' effort), but it may be time I stop being silent about it...

No comments: