Ah, yeah. Early this month, while the heatwave had not burnt our energy and house wasn't yet a post-camp-departure-mess, I had that Silly Idea (tm) that I could enter the
I would have read https://gbadev.net/resources.html#articles, installed the GBA devkit in addition to the NDS devkitpro (reality: done, but where) and I'd have quickly (ahem) converted the Green Zone graphics into 16-colors-per-tile so that they could fit in the smaller video memory of the GBA. Some sprites (funky funghi, Bilou) would have been turned into 16-colors too while some others (appleman, mostly) would have stuck to 256 colors because they're taking more than 16 :P
Only then, I'd have tried to rebuild the Dreams engine for GBA and imported the Dreams animation over the Apple Assault levels, and that would have been the basis for Apple Assault Advance. Luckily enough, the sound engine promoted by devkitpro would have been happy about my brother's good old 6-track variant of String Tracking.
Likely, I'd have needed to find a way to compile the GobScript state machines into plain old data that could stay in ROM so that the smaller-sized (256K?) GBA RAM could have been saved for really-read/write features. Same for the maps, most likely ... They're not that big, so they could have been fit to RAM. Maybe they would have to so that collectible tiles would have worked. (not that there are many such things in Apple Assault).
But that was before blogpress started pressing me to develop it again. I think I'll focus on making first steps with bosses in NDS Dreams engine, instead :P


Vote for your favourite post

No comments:
Post a Comment