Friday, March 17, 2023

Conveyed ...

It's not a surprise (or it shouldn't) if there are waterfalls and sandfalls in the Three-rooms demo. And especially, if there is ground between two of them. I want my game engine to be able to 'push' you when you're on some ground, like it would if the ground was actually a conveyer belt. And it's been a few years now that using sand/water falls for that integrates better than mere mechanical belts in most levels. 

I have notes in my notebook for quite some times, too, about how the game script should indicate what those blocks do. They're not quite "special blocks" (that interact with collision code), but rather "physical types" that could be polled by frame-per-frame controllers.

I'm not completely satisfied with the proposed syntax, though. I'd rather use type %d {...} and is %s "%x" for level editor identification (like for block %d {} describing interactive special blocks), and I'd use props %x, like we already have for special blocks.

The truly innovative part is %s.%s = ... pattern to setup variables into controller factories. That one will be a bit more complex to get running, because the map of factories is actually managed directly by the GobState class, and I'd rather not re-inforce the Using... anti-pattern here.


No comments: