Saturday, December 31, 2005

BASIC [t.a.g.]

Young me, showing off BASIC stuff
Yes, I mean Beginners' All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, which has been my sole programming language between '86 and '95 and which I've kept using until Y2K -- although more and more occasionally, as I getting more proficient in assembly.

The big issue with BASIC was that I was always trying to do things that are too big for it. Whether 'space mission' spaceship simulator and maze runs project on C64 or Calimero platformer with line-numbered programming language for a platformer ... And it wasn't much better for Bilou's Adventure which MS QuickBasic couldn't compile properly because it was using too much pictures (although it could be interpreted perfectly well :-/)

One thing was great, though: you could quickly start a new project. Something that stopped being true when I started working with C and makefiles, only to find it back with PERL.

No comments: