Saturday, December 31, 2005

20 years anniversary (t.a.g)

Somewhere in 1993,  my brother would come back home with a sketch of a new Bilou level (there had been some since October) and a monsters design sheet with all the adversaries we could find in the School Zone.

My computer so far would only render black and white and produce beep sounds. Playing the school zone was some kind of un-achievable teenagers dream, just like performing (and winning) the Eurovision song contest had been some years earlier. 

En 1993, mon frangin me ramenait un croquis d'un premier niveau pour la "School Zone", accompagné des designs de monstres de son camarade de classe Piek pour notre futur jeu Bilou. Vu notre matériel de l'époque, la transposition en jeu vidéo relevait alors du fantasme d'adolescent.

20 ans plus tard, avec un premier moteur de jeu pour Nintendo DS et des graphismes qui commencent à ressembler à quelque-chose le rêve est à deux doigts de devenir réalité. Mettant de côté mes projets de mini-jeux, je m'attaque à une transposition aussi fidèle que possible de la map tracée par le frangin en vue d'en faire un niveau-démo destiné à fêter les 20 ans du personnages.

Nearly 20 years later in 2013, I have my game engine for Nintendo DS running simple games and fair quality school zone graphics. I have plans to use them in an arcade-like climb-as-high-as-you-can game, and I'll put them aside to convert my brother's vision into a one-level demo of that early level. Will I be on time to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Bilou as a character ?

No comments: