Sunday, April 22, 2018

to $(AR) or not to $(AR)

During the preparation of the "controllers" tutorial, I faced a weird linking problem. I wanted to split the huge "controllers.cxx" file so that every controller would be in a sub-file that could be compiled separately and no longer depend on the code from other controllers unless there is a good reason for that. And all of suddens, I had no more factories registered.

Just before that, I had reviewed the factory registering system so that it was enough to just write "MomentumFactory mf("momentum");" as a top-level declaration to get everything up and running. But that meant there was no more reference from the main .o files of the game/demo that would require .o files with the factory code (and instance declaration), so they wouldn't be packed in, and certainly wouldn't be initialized either.

So I started thinking about weird mechanisms invoking bool pointers to dummy variables, or no-code functions, and even why not "UsingPlatformer" empty class that would extend UsingMomentum, UsingDpad and others... Then I realized that all this happened because the .o files (compilation output, that is. Equivalent of your *.OBJ if you're on MS-DOS) are packed into a static library and only pulled to populate the .NDS file on-demand at link-time. If instead I explicitly say "link Demo/*.o Controllers/*.o", they are put into the binary and no trick is needed anymore.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

shell functions

For so long, I have been creating aliases for my shell. "dir" would be "ls -la" and things like that. TCSH even had ways to retrieve some attributes to the aliases. building 20 student programs and testing them would have merely required me to type N (for next), B (for build) and T (to launch simple tests). Do I need to fix something to better evaluate their program ? B again, then T again.

But it had its drawbacks, and it was pretty ugly to code. Nowadays, I'd do that with shell function instead. Rather than trying to rewrite the statement, it truly allows me to extract all the arguments (either separately or together) and then calling one or more commands

cl()
{
    color.pl $* | less -R
}


One last place here I used aliases is with the "quick cd" tool I use to keep my brain sane and my screen not-excessively-cluttered
#!/usr/bin/bash

export CITY=$(pwd)
echo "You are in the City. $CITY"
echo "You can set 4 locations. North, South, East and West."

alias setN='export NORTH=$(pwd)'
alias setW='export WEST=$(pwd)'
alias setE='export EAST=$(pwd)'
alias setS='export SOUTH=$(pwd)'
alias setC='export CITY=$(pwd)'

alias N='cd $NORTH'
alias S='cd $SOUTH'
alias E='cd $EAST'
alias W='cd $WEST'
alias C='cd $CITY'

And yes, it pretends that you're running an old-fashioned, text-based adventure game instead of crawling directories. Because i found it easier to thing of thinks as "west", "north", etc. rather than trying to remember what letter I used for "gstreamer" and what letter was for "alsa".

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Dear ImGUI,

I hope you enjoyed the week-end. It sure was a pleasure to have you around, and getting some pixels rendered without having to bother with ./configure, plugging events into sockets or any kind of new classes.

Sure, I wish you had time to stay for tea and I would have shown you my SpritePages, but I suppose that can be kept for another encounter. I'm pretty sure you and I are meant to meet each other pretty soon.

Everyone was amazed when you just returned "true" in the line of code that painted a new button. Imagine the face they'll have next time when we'll show them GobState representations live and pop up new windows as one explore the state machine...

Stay Safe,
/PypeBros.

PS: okay, the unit-tester requiring 32-bit (so that DS registers addresses are out of the .text segment) and SDL requiring 64-bit won't simplify early integration tests ... we'll find some workaround.

Monday, April 09, 2018

Tutorial revision goes on.

I reached the point where you can write very simple scripts and have them processed on the "tutorial" branch. Of course there isn't much follow-up at the moment despite the 3 forums on which I comment stuff. That doesn't really matter, although I'd love to get feedback on whether it reads well.

What is really interesting here is that it forces me to get rid of many odd things. Hopefully, that will lead to a code base that will be easier to extend. Things like "rules.gam", for instance.

Being busy reviewing the expressions system, for instance, make it obvious that some static array could be gone now that I have the gob collision structure. the "game counter al so cry for a refactoring out of the GameScript class. And making the 'guns/controllers' system easier to understand (esp. by automating the registration system) made it obvious that I need to re-think the way classes access the Camera object.