Monday, January 18, 2021

spr.load+

The next big step for my game engine to be capable of running project “Bilou  Dreamland” is overlay loading. In all my previous games, there was one main tileset and sprite set that contained all we needed. Monster, hero, Pick-ups. Anything that had to be animated sat together in that file…

Bon, prochaine étape significative pour le développement sur DS: faire en sorte que le game engine puisse charger les graphismes "en deux temps", en particulier pour les sprites. J'aimerais bien éviter de devoir répliquer le graphisme de Bilou sur plusieurs spritesets, tout simplement.

Et ouaip, j'étais prêt à lancer ça en début de congé de Noël, puis je suis laissé distraire par un 'to branch or not to branch', *deline m'a chipé la tablette pour lire du Ewilan, et moi je me suis mis à faire du déterrage de brouillons :-/

C'est ça, la quarantaine: ou bien tu code, ou bien tu blogges. Les deux, c'est niet.

In order to come up with a “world 2” that features new creatures, this has to change. Especially, I want to have a single “Bilou.spr” containing character animations for all moves. The engine will then complete this with world-specific monsters and NPC data. When you think about it, the very reason why there’s never been a level 2-1 in my BASIC games was because  I couldn’t find the proper solution to this design challenge.

Mais, allons. Ne soyons pas défaitistes: c'est pas que je n'aie rien fait sur DS pendant les vacances. Juste que je n'ai pas fait ce que j'avais prévu, et que j'ai complètement perdu de vue depuis ce que j'ai fait depuis ce moment.

Plutôt que de me lancer dans une nouvelle branche, j'ai stabilisé et consolidé les différents outils.

edit: j'ai déjà quelques p'tites modifications qui donnent pas mal.

Par contre, il faudra que je réfléchisse à un moyen de valider que tout ça fonctionne bien comme prévu.

Well, I was about to start this at the start of xmas holidays, and then *deline picked up my boox to do some e-book reading while I was wondering whether a new branch would be required or not and then I ended up spending the holidays posting some very old drafts. Welcome to being 40: blog xor code.

well, nor the whole holidays, actually . I’ve still been able to do some ndsdev, just not the kind of things I expected. Tools are now stronger and more reliable. I’ve finally started to code something for it, but I need to figure out how I am going to test that.

edit 30/1: j'attaque...
edit 2/2: sprdo could help testing it.

No comments: